Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Alternative uses for train tracks

I don't know if you've ever ridden on Amtrak, but it kinda sucks. At least this is what Mommy tells me. She rode the train from Boston to Oberlin, Ohio when she was doing her auditions for college and it had several major, major problems:

a) arrival time in Oberlin was like, 3 AM. Who wants to pick you up at 3 AM?
b) it was full of crazy people
c) it was full of possibly drunk crazy people who were fighting with each other
d) some of those people were also preaching
e) since you're a captive audience, you have to pay an arm and a leg for food, which sucked.
f) it took longer than it would have to drive

Anyway. Mommy is always surprised that Amtrak still exists, given that they have no one to compete with them and thus force them to improve. I have been coming up with some plans for what we can do with all the old train tracks if Amtrak ever goes bust.

Mommy and Daddy always put the train track together for me, but I am eager to get started on my plans - perhaps too eager! - so I begin by removing all of the cars on the track.


Then I start dismantling the track.


I find it helps if I shake the track pieces vigorously before I try to dispose of them.



I'll give you five bucks if you can guess where I'm going to put this...


Duh! Everything in the mouth!
Finally, I have to find alternative uses for some of the other parts of the train system. Like, for example, the little ramps that allow the train to drive from the floor to the track. The best thing I've come up with so far is this:



I like to call this 'Pacifier/Duckie Face'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need you in the UK to sort out our rail system too! Perhaps you are going to be an engineer instead of a research scientist!!. Take care, love Nan & Grandad.

Little Jax said...

Mommy loves (European) trains, so she and Daddy took the Amtrak from Durham to DC when she was about 5 months pregnant. Little did they know that when it's hot out, the train can't go more than about 45 mph. And it stops every 10 minutes at every little hodunk town it possibly can. What takes about 4-5 hours by car took EIGHT hours. Mommy of course ran out of food and drink, so they had to buy expensive stuff from the dining car which also had no working AC for that trip. We now as a family advocate for pulling all of Amtrak's funding. I'm glad you're thinking of a plan for what to do once it's gone!

Anonymous said...

i was also thinking that this may bode for civil engineering. riley enjoys throwing her trains, too!